Part I: This next week listen to this BYU forum by Dr. Brooks. It's also in the BYU alum magazine if you would rather read it. It's fabulous!
Part II: Do something about it.
Amy's got us all beat on the idea of adopting a child, so we can't compete. But find a way to help others give this week. I'm excited to hear how you guys teach and help your children and other to give.
cheers, angela and justin
ps. Or you can just guess when our baby will be born.
ReplyDeleteWhat!!! Congrats Ang! I had no idea (I hope this is a new announcement and your not due in a few weeks). That's exciting you two!
ReplyDeletehmmm...I forgot the guess. How about March 10th?
ReplyDeleteWe're bad about sharing news, sorry. but actually I'm due Aug 12; crazy eh?
ReplyDeleteI'll try to do the other challenge, but I'll start with a guess. I'm going with August 14th.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I'm back and that is a FABULOUS article. Some of my favorite thoughts:
ReplyDelete"Happiness is the secret to success. Charity brings happiness, and happiness brings success."
"You simply can’t find any kind of service that won’t make you happier."
"Giving creates stronger communities and a more prosperous nation."
"I am here to tell you, having looked at the data, that the day the government takes over for you in your private charity is the day we get poorer, unhappier, and unhealthier. We must demand to take our place as givers and support the communities and people who need the services we can provide."
This was an absolutely excellent article and I have to say the end surprised me. And that is a good thing. I definitely know there are a few things I need to do after reading this article. Thanks Angela and Justin!
Love the article Angela and Justin (and not just because Arthur Brooks is a Professor at the Maxwell School at Syracuse University).
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. And my guess is August 11.
I am just getting involved in this blog, call me lazy, busy, and or overwhlemed, depending on the day. I missed the first couple of challenges. So here is my summary:
ReplyDelete1. I can pit a spit about three feet!!
2. Ryan I made Swiss Steak about six months ago!!
3. I met a women on the plane the other day who was traveling to Salt Lake City - I gave her some great places to visit including temple square!
4. Angela - I enjoyed the article - I often wonder if I have taught my children enough. A couple of months ago my brother lost his job, we decided to do something to help them out. Adri came to me after our dinner discussion and handed me a small plastic bag with about 37 cents in it, she wanted to make sure Uncle Travis got it. Maybe there is hope.
I am on to hese challenges so watch out!
Bryon Posted the previous comment
ReplyDeleteI love, love this article. It really caused me to step back and think about how willing I am to give of my time, self, means, energy, etc.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I say August 12th